Some Web Links for ICBL
How to do ICBL, implementation, getting students started, assessment
- Using investigative cases in geoscience. http://serc.carleton.edu/introgeo/icbl/index.html
Comprehensive paper on ICBL, uses environmental microbiology case as full example.
- ICBL link on the LifeLines OnLine homepage http://bioquest.org/lifelines
This drop down menu lists topics related to teaching with and developing cases.
- Student notes for using cases http://serc.carleton.edu/files/introgeo/icbl/CaseUserNotes.doc
This word document can be modified to fit your circumstances
- Case Analysis sheets. http://serc.carleton.edu/files/introgeo/icbl/Case_Analysis_Worksheet.doc
- BioQUEST 3 Ps approach http://bioquest.org/index3ps.html
Part of the underlying instructional philosophy of ICBL
- Waterman, M.A. and E.D. Stanley. 2004. Doing science collaboratively with investigative case based learning. Strategies for Success, Issue 41, Spring 2004. Longer version with resources also published on
www.aw-bc.com/events/strategies/newsletters/index.html March 2004
- Stanley, E.D. and Waterman, M.A. Investigative Cases: Collaborative Inquiry in Science. Great Ideas in Teaching Biology. January 2005; Vol. 3: 6-14 http://www.aw-bc.com/greatideas/pdfs/greatideas_bio_v3.pdf
Chautauqua short course program, every summer, supported by NSF. Courses on ICBL.
Microbiology Cases Used in This Workshop
- WNV http://bioquest.org/lifelines/biotech2003/llol_project_template.php?project_id=45
- Outbreaks http://cstl-csm.semo.edu/waterman/ll2001finalprojects/htm2001modules/Outbreak_files/frame.htm
- SimBio 2 Modeling http://bioquest.org/simbio2.html
- Altoids/Prion case http://cstl-csm.semo.edu/waterman/ll2001finalprojects/htm2001modules/HOW%20NOW%20MAD%20COW_files/frame.htm
- Goodbye Honeybuckets (arctic microbiology) http://cstl-csm.semo.edu/waterman/ll2001finalprojects/htm2001modules/goodbye%20honeybuckets2_files/frame.htm
Finding Cases Online
The LifeLines OnLine ICBL project.
Workshops listed on LifeLines, but developed at other workshops in 2000
Cases from a workshop at Emory
Cases from a G-K-12 project (PRISM) at Emory University
- American Society for Microbiology education resources at http://www.asm.org
National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science: Clearinghouse for Case Studies in Science
PBL Clearinghouse: A collection of problems and articles to assist educators in using problem-based learning.
Information on Microbes Count! book of 40+ lab activities and investigations, available from ASM press
Link to Microbes Count! at ASM press
- http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0805371761-VP,00.html Information on purchasing or getting an examination copy of Benjamin/Cummings “Biological Inquiry: A Workbook of Investigative Cases”
- http://serc.carleton.edu/undergrad_geosci/ Digital Library for Earth Systems Education's link to the resources for undergraduate education These include cases that connect nicely to environmental microbiology.
- http://www.dlese.org/dds/query.do?q=Investigative%20case&s=0 A listing of investigative cases in DLESE
Sample Resources for Building ICBL Problem Spaces
- http://bioquest.org Homepage of the BioQUEST Curriculum Consortium, linking to projects and calendars. Information on the BioQUEST Library of software
Links to problem spaces for HIV, WNV, and prions. Ready to be used for bioinformatics investigations and to be linked to new cases.
Orientation to Biology WorkBench, a suite of tools for bioinformatics
Freely available access to a suite of tools and databases for proteomics, genomics investigations.
- Most of the cases listed on the LifeLines OnLine site have suggested investigations and some resources.
- Including ASM's Microbe World at http://www.microbeworld.org/home.htm